Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Teach Your Child to Read

I'm the proud father of a three-and-a-half year old little girl. She truly is the apple of her daddy's eye. She is very perceptive and has a very broad vocabulary. My wife and I do our best to introduce new ideas and words to her. She has quite the imagination as well.

I, like many of you, saw the infomercials about teaching babies to read. I purchased a book title How To Teach Your Baby To Read (The Gentle Revolution) by Glenn Doman. I attempted to work with my then one year old on learning sight words. The premise behind site reading is that through repetition the student would be able to learn any word shown to them. While this may be true, it also stands to reason that a child may learn the word 'CAT' but would have no idea what 'RAT' or 'BAT' would mean. It didn't take long to abandon this approach.

Fast forward two and half years to today. I did some research on phonics based programs and have decided to give Teach Your Child to Read in Just Ten Minutes a Day by Sidney Ledson a try. This book seems to fit what I think would be a better approach at teaching reading to my daughter. I've ordered the book and can't wait to get started.