Monday, July 20, 2009

I'm impressed

Tonight we had a very long session of school. My daughter sounded out and piece together about ten words. She stumbled on 'CUP' thinking it was 'CUT' but she understood once we sounded it out again. I think she was guessing but the ending sounds do sound pretty close.

I introduced the 'G' and she told me that it looked like the 'Cuh' sound symbol. Pretty perceptive. She had a bit of trouble with the new letter as she was getting it confused with the other letter's sounds. I asked her to grab the letters that sound like 'Huh Uh Guh' and put them in her Word Whammer game. I then asked her to sound it out and she did. She sounded it out again and said 'H-U-G. Hug. Hug?!' She was very excited and read the word without any help and without the word ever being practiced. She was proud of herself but probably not as proud as her dad was!